Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Copier, what copier?

This has been an interesting school year. We switched to 1:1 iPads instead of laptops for all our students. And I stopped using the photocopier.

I didn’t go cold turkey. I’ve been weaning myself for a few years now. But I literally have not photocopied a handout yet this year. And we are in the fourth quarter, so it is very likely I just won’t use one at all.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I have used books in my English classes. I’d rather not. I’d really rather have students try ebooks, but I don’t have any budget for them. So I guess technically I haven’t gone completely paperless. 

But mostly I have. Here’s how: I stopped using composition books for journaling with my English students. We now use Google docs. At the beginning of the year I have them create a folder and share it with me at my Google address. For the rest of the year, every assignment they want to share with me just goes in that folder. 

I add each of them as a contact. Then I create a group for each class and tag them as by group. I can then share any document I like with the class simply by typing the group name. And they get those docs no matter where they are, home sick, in Florida, or in a workshop. They pass in the work by putting it in their folders, which I have moved into folders I have created and arranged by class.

Even better, if there is a link to follow, and video to watch, a form or whatever, links can be embedded in the docs, making it foolproof for students to access the necessary information. 


This is long-winded, yes, and hasn’t really answered some of the questions we were to respond to. So let me add this. For me, given my students’ constant access to technology, my role as a teacher has changed by allowing more interactivity between students, as well as with me and my students. Learning has improved as students have more access to information, and are more interested in pursuing information using digital tools. 

My measurements of learning haven’t changed a whole lot, as I have been using multimedia tools for a long time in my classroom. They are much more common than papers. And finally, using paperless space is so much easier to build learning networks because they are designed to be fluid, flexible, and interactive.Students aren't limited to receiving or doing their work sitting in my classroom. Now their it available everywhere. They don't lose it, can't leave it at home, and can't say they left it in their locker. And so far this year, the dog hasn't eaten anyone's homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment