Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Using RSS

RSS, Rich Site Summary, or sometimes called Really Simple Syndication is a system for distributing content from an online publisher to an end user. Often those online publishers are blogs which all people to post content simply by typing or adding a photo. Many blogs then allow comments on the posts. Think Facebook or Flikr.

In my classroom I plan on using the web-based RSS syndicator called Feedly. I will use this service because it also has an app which my students can use on their iPads. Here’s what I plan to do…


My Integrated Technology students will download and signup for Feedly. They will then search for some interesting feeds relating to technology. Once a week they will write a blog entry which summarizes one post they found particularly interesting. They will then post their entry on our Integrated Technology blog. Students will then be asked to comment on at least one other student’s post.

5 comments:

  1. Feedly sounds like a great app for the iPad! I like your plan that has students using the feed at least once a week and blogging about it. I think consistent use of these tech tools is key to it being beneficial and successful, and it will take time and practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think consistency is best, especially when trying out new stuff. And Feedly does seem pretty easy to setup and use. The app was the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you thinking, Jim.
    Matching a RSS with a website offering an app is awesome. I am a huge proponent of mLearning, and this is one more example of technology in action. ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to incorporate reading comprehension and writing skills into the class. I love it when teachers come up with ideas that help students use what we have to teach in a real world application. Most students love this - they may protest and groan, but most will do an assignment like this and learn. This used to be called having fun in school - something that is missing in too many classes because of the mandatory curriculum. This is a great way to incorporate fun into the learning and incorporate standards. ~Jami

    ReplyDelete
  5. In researching RSS feed options personally, I also landed on Feedly as my choice. I will need to spend some more time getting comfortable with it - but seems like a potential time saving option. For work, I think RSS feeds may be a helpful way to stay on top of industry news in a less haphazard way, so looking forward to seeing how that plays out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete