Sunday, March 9, 2014

Create and Share

When it comes to technology use, today’s students are not the same as the students of 30 years ago. This is not nostalgia, it is fact. Today’s students have never known a world without the web, without broadband, without wifi, or even without cell phones. They are different.

They have grown up both knowing how to plug-in, and expecting to be able to. They now carry devices, smartphones, which allow access to unlimited sources of information and services. They expect to interact with the world using these digital tools.

Web 2.0 differs from the previous version of the web in that it is not static, but active. With Web 2.0 comes the ability to create content on the web and instantly share it with the world. Today’s students do that. Everyday. They create and share videos, pictures, and tweets. They post to countless services, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, and so on, create and share.

My classroom practice needs to reflect that reality. I need to harness the energy, the creativity, the desire to share, and channel it into processes which create products demonstrating learning. And I need to do it in such a way that it meshes with, not conflicts with, my student’s existing abilities in these areas.

There is one way, however, that today’s students are not different than the students of 30 years ago. They are still impulsive, can still have poor judgement, and still have brains whose prefrontal cortex (the area of the brain responsible for decision making) is not yet fully developed. So sometimes what they do online is impulsive and not well thought out. Thus my classroom practice needs to include checks and balances to account for such behaviors.


I’ve been using blogs, wikis, websites, and podcasts in my practice for many years. But I feel as though they have always be add-on products, not built into the flow of learning. This is what I seek- the blog needs to disappear into the flow, becoming just another step along the path.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with on how plugged-in students are today. They feel lost if they are not connected electronically in one way or another. When I started working five years ago at the school I’m currently teaching at, they used technology very little if any at all. I think one reason was due to having older staff that refused to incorporate it, because after all, thirty years ago when they were teaching the students didn’t need it. And the other was the fear of the unknown when it came to introducing technology into a faith based school.
    I like your statement about the students being impulsive and lacking judgment. I have tried to safeguard what I could, but these kids are smarter than I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you are saying about older staff sometimes being reluctant to try using these shiny new tech tools in their classrooms. My problem with that attitude is that they aren't new! Teachers who are unwilling to learn how to integrate these tools into their classrooms are not demonstrating good learning habits to their students.

      Delete
  2. I like the concept of including checks and balances when allowing students to utilize technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and that is all the more important the younger the student.

      Delete
  3. Web 2.0 has taken control of my students as well. I can relate to your comments about the read/write web activities they complete outside of school. As educators we should get on the technology bus, before we get run over by it!
    I think the suggestion of a blog becoming part of the education path is right on! I believe I could also use a blog as a portion of an assignment, particularly for networking and community building.
    ~Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim,
    I completely agree with you about our students still needing support in decision making. That's why I believe that teaching Internet safety is so important. We're similar in that we recognize the importance of teaching safety and setting up a classroom where students are held accountable for their actions and behaviors.
    Mindy :)

    ReplyDelete